If you live in Multnomah County, you can use many libraries all over Oregon and Southwest Washington. If you live outside Multnomah County, you have options that may allow you to get an account here.
Local free service area
Multnomah County Library has agreements with many nearby library systems. You can get an account at all area library systems if you live anywhere in the free service area. You can also get an account at Multnomah County Library if you own property, teach or go to school in the area.
Library systems in the free service area include:
- Multnomah County Library
- Camas Public Library
- Fort Vancouver Regional Library District (FVRL)
- Hood River County Library District
- Libraries in Clackamas County (LINCC)
- Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS)
You must register for an account at each library system. Other library systems have different rules and fees. Please return items to the library system where they were checked out.
The free service area includes:
- Clackamas County, except for Johnson City
- Hood River County
- Multnomah County
- Washington County
- Clark County
- Klickitat County
- Skamania County
- Some areas of Cowlitz County: Cities of Ariel, Cougar or Woodland, Yale Precinct
Oregon Library Passport program
Library cards for Oregon residents
Multnomah County Library belongs to the Oregon Library Passport Program. This program gives patrons across the state free access to more than 100 libraries in Oregon. Find out if your library participates.
For Multnomah County residents
Take your Multnomah County Library library card to get a Passport card at each library system you wish to use. You must return items to the library system where you checked them out.
Each participating library sets its own terms. Passport cards may have different limits than a regular library card.
For Oregon residents outside the free service area
Bring your library card from any Oregon Passport library to get a library card at Multnomah County Library. You will also need photo identification.
You must return items checked out from Multnomah County Library to a Multnomah County Library location.
At Multnomah County Library, Passport patrons from around the state can:
- Check out 10 items, including books, CDs, DVDs and more
- Check out e-books using Libby
- Use the internet at the library
- Access research tools, such as databases and magazines, at the library
- Place up to 10 holds at a time
Full-use library cards for a fee
You can get a full-use Multnomah County Library card for $180 per year. This card is for people who don’t have either of the above options.
The full-use fee card provides:
- Full checkout and hold services for all members of your household
- E-books, audiobooks, streaming media and more
- Research tools and databases in the library or at home
- Interlibrary loan service
You must visit a library in person and show photo identification to pick up your library card.