Troutdale Library history

The 6,000 square foot Troutdale Library building is located in the Cherry Park Market Center. The library opened in 2010 and was constructed with Forest Stewardship Council-certified Douglas fir ceiling and wall panels. It has eco-friendly paint, carpet and furniture, and other sustainable features. 

Although one of the youngest library locations, library service in the area has a long history.


2020 In November 2020, Multnomah County voters approved a $387 million capital bond to build and transform library buildings across the county. Troutdale Library was one of 11 libraries set to receive upgrades and not undergoing major renovations. 

2010  The new Troutdale Library opened in a storefront building at 2451 SW Cherry Park Road in July 2010.

2006-2008  In November 2006, voters approved funds for the new Troutdale library. There were multiple efforts to find a suitable site.

1960  TheTroutdale Reading Room closed once again after use declined. It was replaced by a bookmobile service. 

1923  Library service in Troutdale resumed when the Library Association of Portland signed a 10-year lease with the town of Troutdale for a reading room in the town hall. The association authorized $350 to finish this first-floor room, which opened March 15, 1923, with celebratory tea. The new room with its attractive and comfortable quarters was very popular.

1915 The reading room closed due to low usage.

1908  The Women’s Club in Troutdale ran a subscription library for many years before it became part of the public library. The Troutdale Reading Room formally opened as a free and public institution on April 7, 1908. The staff hoped to reach the farming community east of Sandy with the installation of a new rural telephone connection.