June 15, 2020 - August 31, 2020
This summer, we'll encourage youth to “imagine your story” with fairytales, mythology, and fantasy. Our Summer Reading dragon, Shu Long, will help. "Shu Long" is Chinese pinyin of "書龍" which means "good reader like a dragon," and we hope that Shu Long inspires many people to be good readers this summer! Read for fun and enter prize drawings! It’s free to play!
How to play
- Log each day you read or listen to a book, or do any of the fun activities between June 15 and August 31.
- Each time you log 15 days (they don’t have to be in a row!) you may enter a drawing for prizes. Prizes will be mailed only to addresses in Multnomah County.
- Once you’ve read 45 days total, you’ve completed the game! If you are playing on paper, bring your final postcard to an open library location to get a T-shirt (while supplies last) and submit your entry in the Grand Prize drawing. If you are playing online, you will need to provide your name and school as you have registered it. Since you will not be able to try any shirts on, you may want to preview the shirt sizes before you go. A friend or family member can pick up your prizes for you.
- Choose one way to play: online or on paper.
New this year, play our Summer Reading game online using Beanstack! The game begins June 15, but registration opens June 1.
Download the Beanstack Tracker app:
Students: Do NOT use a restricted school email address to create your online account. A phone number or adult email is best.
Or play on paper
Complete the Summer Reading game and enter to win your choice of a Technology Package that includes a Chromebook, home printer and a $250 Visa gift card, OR an Experience Portland Family Fun Package with tickets to sporting events, museums, theater, music and more.
- High School: Your choice of a Chromebook or a $250 Visa gift card, made possible by The Library Foundation.
- Middle School: Your choice of a Chromebook or a birthday party package at SuperPlay.
- Grades K-5: Your choice of a Chromebook or a birthday party package at Mad Science Portland.
- Ages 0-4: Your choice of a cozy reading nook (play tent and books) or a birthday party package at PlayDate PDX.
Summer Reading volunteering is different this year. We will not be providing in-person volunteer opportunities for Summer Reading. We will engage a limited number of experienced Summer Reading volunteers in a virtual volunteer program. If you have volunteered for Summer Reading before and would like more information, contact Volunteer Services email@example.com or 503.988.5731.
Summer Reading is supported by gifts to The Library Foundation, a local nonprofit dedicated to our library's leadership, innovation and reach through private support.
A special thank you to media sponsors:
The 2020 Summer Reading program would not be possible without the generous support of our community partners who donated thousands of prizes. Thank you for your support!
- Academy Theater
- Annie Bloom's Books
- Books Around the Corner
- Dairy Hill Ice Cream
- Family Fun Center & Bullwinkle's Restaurant
- Finnegan's Toys & Gifts
- Glowing Greens
- Green Bean Books
- Hammer and Jacks
- Laughing Planet
- Mad Science of Portland and Vancouver
- Maggie Mae's Kids Bookshop
- Mark Spencer Hotel
- Mimosa Studios
- Mt. Hood Community College Aquatic Center
- My Masterpiece Art Studio
- Nectar Froyo
- Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Oregon State Fair
- PlayDate PDX
- Portland Parks and Recreation Aquatic Division
- Portland Winterhawks
- Posies Bakery & Cafe
- Round Table Pizza
- Sock It to Me!
- Southpark Seafood
- Staccato Gelato
- Voodoo Doughnut
- Wallace Books
- The Wiggle Room