June 16 - August 31, 2022
Explore a world of reading, science and art activities with the Summer Reading game.
Read for fun and prizes this summer. Babies, kids and teens can play the Summer Reading game by starting a daily reading habit. In addition, the library will have lots of fun interactive online performances, storytelling, and arts and crafts for kids and families. It all kicks off June 16!
Kids of all ages can play online or on paper.
How to play
- Starting June 16, come to the library and pick up a gameboard or sign up online at Beanstack or download the mobile Beanstack App.
- Mark one space for each day you read or listen to a book, or do any of the fun activities, between June 16 and August 31, 2022.
- Each time you mark at least 15 days (they don’t have to be in a row!), come to the library to receive a prize. If you play on paper, fill out one of the cards on your gameboard and bring it with you.
- Once you have read 45 days total, you have completed the game! Come to the library (if you play on paper, bring your last card) on or after July 30 to receive a T-shirt and Prizes (while supplies last), and an entry in the Grand Prize drawing for your age level.
- Claim your prizes by August 31, 2022.
If you don’t have a gameboard by the start of Summer Reading, don’t worry! When you pick up a gameboard from the library or start playing online, you can fill in as many days you have read since June 16th.
Check out this video on YouTube that explains Summer Reading.
Finish the Summer Reading Game and enter to win one of these prizes:
Grand Prize: Birthday party at Wiggle Room
Runner-up: Play tent with a selection of books curated for the child
Instead of any of these prizes, each winner may select a $150 Visa gift card made possible by The Library Foundation.
Grand Prize: A technology prize selected with a Rockwood Library Makerspace specialist
Runner-up: Birthday party at Mad Science
Instead of any of these prizes, each winner may select a $250 Visa gift card, made possible by The Library Foundation.
Middle School + High School
Grand Prize: A technology package selected with a Rockwood Library Makerspace specialist, and a MetroEast membership
Middle School Runner-up: Bowling Party for 8 at Superplay
High School Runner-up: A technology prize selected with a Rockwood Library Makerspace specialist
Instead of any of these prizes, each winner may select a $250 Visa gift card, made possible by The Library Foundation
Want to sign up to volunteer? Visit Volunteer on our website.
Summer Reading is supported by gifts to The Library Foundation, a local nonprofit dedicated to our library's leadership, innovation and reach through private support.
A special thank you to media sponsor:
The 2022 Summer Reading program would not be possible without the generous support of our community partners who donated thousands of prizes. Thank you for your support!
- Annie Bloom's Books
- Dairy Hill Ice Cream
- Green Bean Books
- HOTLIPS Pizza
- Laughing Planet
- Mad Science of Portland and Vancouver
- Maggie Mae's Kids Bookshop
- Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Oregon State Fair
- Portland Parks and Recreation
- Portland Youth Philharmonic
- Posies Bakery & Cafe
- PlayDate PDX
- Round Table Pizza
- Staccato Gelato
- Voodoo Doughnut
- Wallace Books
- The Wiggle Room