Revised March 7, 2023
Multnomah County Library is hard at work to build, expand and renovate library spaces for the public as a result of the voter-approved 2020 Library building bond. The library system is undergoing its biggest expansion and transformation in more than a century.
Construction for improvements at Central Library began in July 2022 and will continue into early 2024.
Phase one (July 2022 – October 2022)
- New outdoor terrace space
- Reconstructed and improved ADA access
- Start of 1st floor restroom expansion
- Upgraded technical infrastructure
- Significant preparations for phase two improvements
Phase two (March 11, 2023 – winter 2023-24)
- Expanded patron restrooms on the 1st floor
- Refreshed restrooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor
- A new, dedicated teen space
- Renovated children’s space
- Meeting room upgrades
- Added community space
- Updates to collection locations
- New automated technologies for faster holds and easy returns
- New flexible seating; increased seating
- Added power outlets and new paint, carpet and furniture
- Completion of outdoor terraces and improved emergency egress
For help using the library, please contact us.