June 16-August 31, 2021
Reading colors your world! Explore a world of science and art activities with the Summer Reading game.
Read for fun and prizes this summer. Babies, kids and teens can play the Summer Reading game by starting a daily reading habit. In addition, the library will have lots of fun interactive virtual performances, storytelling, and arts and crafts for kids and families. It all kicks off June 16.
Kids of all ages can play online or on paper.
How to play
- Starting June 16, come to the library and pick up a gameboard or sign up online. Watch instructional videos on how to get and use Beanstack.
- Mark one space for each day you read or listen to a book, or do any of the fun activities, between June 16 and August 31, 2021.
- Each time you mark at least 15 days (they don’t have to be in a row!), come to the library to receive a prize. If you play on paper, fill out one of the cards on your gameboard and bring it with you.
- Once you’ve read 45 days total, you’ve completed the game! Come to the library (if you play on paper, bring your last card) on or after July 30 to receive a T-shirt (while supplies last) and an entry in the Grand Prize drawing for your age level.
- Claim your prizes by August 31, 2021.
The Summer Reading program is supported by gifts to The Library Foundation.
Early childhood (ages 0-4): A birthday party package at The Wiggle Room thewiggleroom.com
Elementary school (grades K-5): Your choice of a technology prize chosen in consultation with the Rockwood Library makerspace staff
Middle school/high school (grades 6-12): Your choice of a technology prize chosen in consultation with the Rockwood Library makerspace staff, plus a personalized Rockwood Library makerspace experience for you and one friend
All grand prize winners may choose a $250 Visa gift card instead of the grand prize, made possible by The Library Foundation.
Runner up prizes
Early childhood (ages 0-4): A reading nook play tent supplied with books
Elementary school (grades K-5): A birthday party package at Mad Science Portland. portland.madscience.org
Middle school (grades 6-8): A birthday party package at SuperPlay
High school (grades 9-12): Your choice of a technology prize chosen in consultation with the Rockwood Library makerspace staff
Prizes based on availability and subject to change.
Summer Reading is supported by gifts to The Library Foundation, a local nonprofit dedicated to our library's leadership, innovation and reach through private support.
A special thank you to media sponsors:
The 2021 Summer Reading program would not be possible without the generous support of our community partners who donated thousands of prizes. Thank you for your support!