We are deep in social media, of course. 74% of adults who use the internet use social media sites! It’s what we do now: how we maintain friendships, meet people, have conversations, begin relationships, learn about news, undertake social change, and market our services and products. There’s a lot (A LOT) that can be said about this, from whether or not it’s good for us to what Big Data from social media tells us about ourselves.
So we do social media, and it results in a whole lot of writing. Research from last decade indicates that people are writing more than ever before. If we’re going to do a ton of writing in social media, we should do it well!
That could mean a few different things:
- You might want to master the craft of writing short messages (tweets, status updates, what-have-you).
- You might want to be a social media power user.
- You might want to be really well informed about all the social networks out there, how they work, and who uses them, so you can choose the best platform for your communications.
- You might want to master social media skills for business purposes.
- You might be curious about the social do’s and don’ts of social media, sometimes known as netiquette.
- You might be planning your digital afterlife? Ok, maybe this is a tangential topic, but interesting, right?