Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- Describe Antler, Texas. What kind of town is it? What is it like for Toby to live there?
- How do you feel about Toby's mother's decision to leave Antler? Is she right to pursue her dream?
- What is it like for Zachary to live inside the trailer? How does he deal with it?
- Have you ever gone to a circus sideshow? What was it like?
- There is lots of humor in this book. Find one of the parts you thought was funny and share with the group.
- What are Scarlet's feelings for Toby? How are Toby's feelings for her different?
- Do you believe Zachary's stories? Why do you think he tells stories about his life?
- Toby thinks about Cal's brother Wayne a lot. Why might this be? Is Cal concerned about his brother serving in Vietnam? Is Toby?
- The friends successfully baptise Zachary in the river. What does this symbolize?
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.