Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- Do you know or have you met anyone like Lani Garver? Claire? Macy? Vince?
- Why is Lani so vague on his sexuality? He says he is "not a girl" but does not say that he is a boy.
- Why is Claire friends with Macy even though Macy can be cruel to her?
- How would this story be different if it did not take place on an island?
- At the beginning of the book (p. xi,) Claire says the fishermen have a saying, "The sea takes the extraordinary and leaves the rest be." Can you think of other examples of extraordinary people who lost their lives to the sea?
- Why does Claire keep her guitar playing a secret?
- Claire's parents each reacted differently to her cancer and their marriage ended. Claire has a strained relationship with both of them. What are some of the problems with their relationships?
- Do you think their relationships will improve? What other effects did her illness have on her and her relationships with friends?
- Why does Lani leave Claire on the bus without telling her he's leaving?
- What does Lani mean when he says truth and belief are a stallion and a mule?
- Why to Tony and Vince hate Lani so much?
- Is Lani a "floating angel?"
- What happened to Lani Garver?
- Do you like the way the book ended? Why/why not?
If you liked this book, try
- The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci
- Luna: a Novel by Julie Anne Peters
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- The She by Carol Plum-Ucci
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.