Summer Reading is a program that gets kids and teens excited about reading during the summer and encourages them to become lifelong library users. Summer Reading volunteers register kids for the game & award prizes. Volunteers may also help with projects, recordkeeping, and more. Volunteers do not read to kids, check out books to patrons, or shelve books.
- Hang out while working at the library
- Earn volunteer hours for school
- Gain valuable skills and add to your resume or college application
- Entering 6th grade or higher in fall 2022
- Available to work a 2-hour weekly shift for 8-9 weeks between June 16 and August 31
- Enjoy working with other people, including talking to kids and adults
- Responsible and dependable
- Able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or receive an approved religious or medical exception from the vaccine.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Prior Summer Reading volunteer experience
- Fluency in one of the following languages: Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, or Somali.
- In-depth knowledge and/or lived experience with the Indigenous and/or Black communities. This experience is demonstrated by knowledge of traditions, values, and customs.
Did you meet the minimum qualifications above? Congratulations! Follow the next steps to apply for a volunteer position.
- Complete the volunteer application after reading the rest of the information on this page. The link to apply is at the bottom of this page. Choose as many library locations as you can for your best chance to volunteer! We have limited spaces this year and if you are able to volunteer at multiple locations you have a higher chance of getting a volunteer position.
- Check your email. Volunteer Services will send you more information on becoming a volunteer. (If you don’t provide an email address, we will contact you by postal mail.)
- If your application is approved, Volunteer Services will contact you. You will then sign up for your required online training.
- Set up your schedule and start date with staff at the library where you will be volunteering, and attend online training.
- Get ready for an awesome summer of volunteering two or more hours a week all summer long!
Application Process — New for 2022
- Volunteers with preferred qualifications may be placed first based on the needs of the library location. The remaining spots will be filled on a first come first serve basis, so we encourage you to turn in your application as soon as possible.
- This year’s in-person volunteer program will be smaller than in the past. We are slowly rebuilding the volunteer program to its pre-pandemic size. It is possible that we may not be able to place all volunteers that apply.
Please keep in mind, you may not be able to volunteer if:
- Your application is missing contact information
- You can’t make the required time commitment
- There’s no parent/guardian permission (if under 18)
- All spots for your preferred location(s) have been filled
Questions? Contact Volunteer Services by email at email@example.com or by phone at 503.988.5731.