Do you work with kids in the summer?
Do you have the same group of kids for six weeks or longer? The library offers Summer Reading to Go, a kit to encourage a culture of readers in your community. We're unable to fill more requests for summer 2019, but check back in May for summer 2020.
These kits are for camps or programs where there’s an adult coordinator or recreation director and a fairly fixed group of at least six youth for about six weeks. Youth can also play the individual summer reading game. Some sites even plan field trips to a library to encourage participation.
- Summer Reading to Go includes:
- Community gameboard and posters
- Instructions, tips and tricks to encourage literacy
- Prizes for each kid for 2 levels -- 1 toy, 1 coupon
- A book set for your community library
- Individual gameboards and sign-up forms so kids can play the individual game
- Choice of Spanish or English gameboards (for kids through grade 5)
We'll mail you the kit unless you request an initial visit from a librarian. Such visits are in limited supply and can't be guaranteed. If a librarian is able to visit your site, they can sign kids up for library cards and give booktalks or an overview of library resources.