My MCL is the library’s social catalog — it has all the same items as the Classic Catalog, but it allows you to rate and review the things you borrow and follow other users. Through My MCL, you can access booklists from library staff and other patrons — and share your own. On top of that, My MCL was made for optimal mobile viewing from any device, and you can search My MCL right from the library’s home page (just enter your search in the orange search bar). Your stuff from the Classic Catalog is available in My MCL, too. You can still use the Classic Catalog any time.
You can search the library’s collection through My MCL without signing up, but doing so allows you to place holds and enjoy all the benefits of My MCL. It's simple and fast.
- Go to My MCL or click on 'My MCL account' at the top right of any page.
- Type in your library card number (where it says "barcode or username") and library password. Your password and PIN are the same thing. We're calling it a password now because it can have 4-10 letters or numbers, instead of numbers only. Your existing PIN will continue to work, and you do not need to change it unless you wish to.
- On the first page of registration, confirm your name, email and the month and year of your birth.
- If there is no email address displayed, you can enter an email address at this point.
- On the second page of registration, create a username that will display on-screen. Your username will appear on any comments or public lists that you create. It must be unique to you.*
- On the final screen of registration, there are optional settings to personalize your account before you get started.
- Recently Returned will keep your borrowing history from the time you turn it on. If you wish, you can also enable Recently Returned (known as "My Reading History" in the Classic Catalog) in your privacy settings. The content on your Recently Returned page is visible only to you.
- If you kept My Lists in Classic Catalog, you can do a one-time import to your For Later Shelf in My MCL.
- You can change your preferred browsing language choice to English, Spanish, Russian or Simplified Chinese.
- You can choose up to 2 additional libraries as your preferred locations.
- You will receive a welcome email from us with a confirmation link. Click the link, and you're done.
After signing up, you can go to your privacy settings to make your shelves as public or as private as you like.
Once you have signed up, in addition to searching the library catalog, you can rate and comment on titles, create lists, and tag and organize your shelves. Check out the help system created by the developer of My MCL, BiblioCommons (it’s always available from the Help button in My MCL) and please contact library staff if you have any questions.
- When you are logged in, click on My Settings at the top right of any page.
- Replace your old username with a new one. You will be alerted if your choice has already been taken.
- Click Save.
Your holds, fines, recently returned list, inbox, personal tags and private notes are visible only to you. Who you are following or ignoring is visible only to you, as well. Your library will not share this information with anyone, under any circumstances.
Your shelves are public by default, but this can be changed from the privacy page, and lists are visible to others only if you choose.
If you prefer to continue using the Classic Catalog, you may.
* In the United States, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) imposes certain requirements on operators of other websites or online services that are collecting personal information online from a child under 13 years of age. For this reason, children under 13 are not allowed to type in free text, such as creating usernames, enter comments, or add other kinds of content that require typing. For their usernames, a child under 13 will select a combination of color and animal name. Additionally, children under 13 years of age cannot participate in the social networking features of My MCL.
The month after a patron turns 13, their account will automatically switch to the full version of My MCL and they will be able to enter free text and participate in the social networking features.