Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- What did you think about each of the kids (Luke, JJ, Ian, Charla, Lyssa and Will)?
- Was there one you especially liked or found annoying?
- Did any of the kids remind you of someone you know?
- CNC (Charting a New Course) was a type of alternate sentencing, that is, something a person does in lieu of going to jail or a detention center. Have you ever heard of this type of sentence either in books or real life? (Touching Spirit Bear, Holes, Cages)
- What do you think about using alternate sentencing?
- Do you think CNC was a good fit for the six kids in this story? Why or why not?
- JJ firmly believed that everything that was happening to them was part of the CNC plan. Do you agree or disagree? If you disagree, was there a point where you changed your mind?
- The chapters are written like a ship's log with the date and time at the beginning of each. Did you find this device helpful?
- This is the first in a trilogy. Did you expect the book to end where it did? Or did you feel short-changed by the author and think he should have concluded the action in one book?
- Do you think it was satisfying as a book in itself?
- Do you care enough about the characters to read the rest of the series?
If you like this book, try
- Dive series by Gordon Korman
- Everest series by Gordon Korman
- Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return, Brian's Hunt and other titles by Gary Paulsen
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.