Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- Right away, Phoebe tells us that Mick isn't here anymore. What did you think as you read the first page? Did you like knowing right away that this is a serious story? Would you have rather found out without the warning?
- What kind of kid was Mick?
- Describe Phoebe's last day with Mick. Why does she feel guilty about what happened?
- Have you ever had a close friend who has lost a sibling or close family member? What is it like to be a supportive friend? What types of things can you say and do to offer comfort?
- How do Phoebe's parents react to Mick's death?
- Why do you think Phoebe dreams about Mick after he is dead? Does this help her deal with her loss?
- Phoebe is very brave to speak in front of her school about the importance of bike helmets. What do you think about her speech? Was it effective? Do you think kids would listen and be effected by a speech like that?
- How is Phoebe's family different by the end of the book? Do they deal with problems in a new way? Are they on their way to healing?
- What does Phoebe to to remember Mick at the end of the book? Would he have liked that?
- What was the saddest part of the book for you? Were there any parts that made you laugh?
- Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike? If you don't, did this book make you think twice about doing so?
Design a poster to encourage kids to wear their bike helmets.
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.