Computers and equipment
Multnomah County Library has about 700 public PCs at its 19 neighborhood locations as well as laptops to use within each library. Learn more about the library's computer services and policies. With a library card or current, valid photo ID, all patrons and visitors can use library computers for 2 hours per day. Computers can be used from opening until 10 minutes before closing.
For additional internet time, patrons who are 13 years or older can check out Chromebooks to use in the library.
All library locations offer:
- Windows PCs with headphones
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint (2007)
- Wi-fi access during all open hours
- Access to and help using online databases and resources
- Black-and-white printing is 10-cents per page
- Color printing is 50-cents per page, and is available only at North Portland Library during the Computer Lab's open hours. Please call 503-988-5394 for availability.
- Copiers: Black-and-white copies only, for 10-cents per page
- Flash drives and earbud-style headphones for sale
Computers for children
Every library has iPads with games and computers with filtered internet access reserved for children. For information on filtering, see Acceptable Use of the Internet and Library Computers.
Most of our library locations offer at least one computer equipped with adaptive technology, such as: ZoomText (screen magnification software), JAWS for Windows (screen-reading software), and QuickLaunch (hotkey software that launches ZoomText and JAWS). Other accessible services are also available.
Free technology assistance is available in a variety of ways:
- Classes and Labs — classroom style instruction, registration generally required
- TechnoHosts — one on one computer help, no registration required
- Tech Help — one on one technology assistance by appointment and walk-up
- Book a Librarian — one on one research assistance by appointment