Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- What are some of the ways that Journey shows his anger how his mother leaving?
- How did Journey get his name? Does it fit him?
- How does Cat handle her mother's leaving?
- Why do you think their mother left?
- Grandfather says, "Maybe that is why people takes pictures. To see what is there" (pg. 19). Why do you think people take pictures?
- Why do you think Bloom comes into their lives? What part does the cat play in this story?
- Read out loud the dream on page 77. What do you think this means?
- Read the opening quotes of the book out loud. Why do you think the author used these?
- How is Journey able to heal by the end of the book?
- Compare the hardcover and paperback copies of this book. Which do you prefer and why?
Bring in a favorite family photo and share what you think it says about your family. Put together a photo essay of your family, using a camera you own, one you borrow, or buy a disposable.
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.