Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some questions give away key parts of the plot!
- Why do you think Hope changed her name? What does the name "Hope" mean to you? How does it fit her character?
- Describe Addie's character. What motivates her? Why does she move them across country?
- What is Hope's relationship like with her mother?
- How does her mother's brief visit effect Hope?
- If a rule of waitressing is to never date the cook, why do you think Hope dates Braverman? What kind of a guy is Braverman?
- Do you think G.T. is the father figure Hope is looking for in her life? How does meeting him change her?
- How has Eli Millstone corrupted the mayoral election?
- Why do you think G.T. decides to run for mayor? How can Hope help him win?
- Over the course of the novel, how does Hope change and grow?
- In the end, which characters in this book have hope?
Hold your book group at a local diner and make sure to give the waitress a big tip!
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.