Are you interested in finding out about your family? Have you done a little research, but find yourself unsure of how to continue? Join us to learn how to start or continue your genealogical research.
This session is specifically focused on African American genealogy.
Meet local author and genealogist Stephen Hanks and learn:
- What library resources can help with your research
- The importance of the 1870 Federal Census
- How to search census records and other historical documents
- What role out of state newspapers can play in your search
- How to find pre-Civil War estate records
Do you have names, birthdates, birth places or other facts about your family? Please bring all the information you have already found, including dates of death.
You are also welcome to join us if you are just beginning.
Made possible by The National Endowment for the Humanities Fund of The Library Foundation.