Multnomah County Library offers free downloadable e-books from 3M Cloud Library. 3M Cloud Library makes finding and downloading e-books simple, and you can do it from anywhere in the world - all you need is your library card and an Internet connection. Use this guide to get started and troubleshoot.
- What is needed in order to download a 3M Cloud Library title?
- How do I check out an item?
- How do I access 3M Cloud Library e-books after check out?
- How many titles can I check out?
- How long do I keep titles?
- Can I return an item early?
- I want a title that is checked out. What do I do?
- What happens when I place an item on hold?
- What happens if I miss the 72-hour hold time?
- How many items can I have on hold on at one time?
- How do I cancel a hold?
- What can I do on a library computer?
- How do I download?
- How do I return items?
- How does digital media work?
- What software is needed for digital media?
- What happens to an item when I've finished it?
- What if my question isn't listed here?
1. What is needed in order to download an 3M Cloud Library title?
- A valid library card and PIN (password).
- Access to the Internet.
- The software (app) for your specific type of computer or mobile device.
- A valid email address so you can be notified when your titles are available for download.
- Find links for the apps, an overview of 3M Cloud Library and support information on the 3M Cloud Library website.
2. How do I check out an item?
You can find 3M Cloud Library titles in the library's catalog. You can search by title, author or subject. You can also search ‘3M Cloud Library’ in an author search to get a list of 3M Cloud Library titles.
Each title will have a ‘Check availability’ link. This will tell you if the title is available to check out and access or if you need to put a hold on it. After checking the availability, the ‘Request this Download’ link with become active. Click this link to check out the title or place a hold.
The black message bar will appear at the top of your screen indicating that you have successfully checked out the item or that your hold was successfully placed.
3M items that are checked out or on hold will appear along with your physical items in your My MCL account. Digital content will not be counted as a physical item checked out or on your holds list. You will not be able to renew your digital content.
You can also browse the shelves or search the collection at the 3M Cloud Library page. You can Login near the top right to see availability of titles and then Check Out or Add to Hold List.
3. How do I access 3M Cloud Library e-books after check out?
You need to install the 3M CLoud Library app on the computer or mobile device that you plan to use for reading. You can find the apps and instructions for them on the 3M Cloud Library support page.
After checking out the title in My MCL or the Classic Catalog, the cover of your title will appear the next time you open your app (with an Internet connection). Tap on the cover to complete the download. You will be able to read your title without an Internet connection after you have completed the download.
4. How many titles can I check out?
You can have ten 3M Cloud Library e-books checked out at any time.
5. How long do I keep titles?
Check out time is 21 days. You can return early, from your mobile device or from your computer. See the 3M Cloud Library support page for information on your specific device.
6. Can I return an item early?
Yes, see the 3M Cloud Library support page for details about your specific device or computer.
7. I want a title that is checked out. What do I do?
If an item is Not Currently Available, click on Request this Download to place a hold on this title. You will see the black message box at the top of the screen with the “Hold successfully placed” message.
Your 3M Cloud Library holds will be listed in your Holds list in your My MCL account.
These holds do not count against your 15 holds in My MCL. You may place up to ten holds on 3M Cloud Library titles at any one time.
8. What happens when I place an item on hold?
The title you put on hold will be reserved for you once it becomes available. When it is available, you will get an email with instructions to check the item out. The item will be held for 72 hours from the time of your email notification. If you do not check it out within 72 hours, it will become available for the next person in the hold queue.
9. What happens if I miss the 72-hour hold time?
You may check out the item if it is available or place it on hold again.
10. How many items can I have on hold at one time?
You can have ten items on hold at one time.
11. How do I cancel a hold?
- Open your 3M Cloud Library app.
- Log in to your account.
- Go to My Books.
- You will have to option to go to Holds List.
- Click the 'Remove' button next to the title or Click on the title to get the option to Remove From Hold List.
12. What can I do on a library computer?
On a library Internet computer you can search, check out items or place items on hold. If you have installed the app on your mobile device, titles you check out will appear when you open the app, holds will also appear on your hold list at that time.
13. How do I download?
After checking out a 3M Cloud Library item, you will see the cover in your 3M Cloud Library app. Tap the cover to download the title. You only need to do this once per check out.
14. How do I return items?
Titles will expire at the end of the loan period and are automatically returned to the library.
With most devices, you can also return an item early. Please see the 3M Cloud Library support page for details on your device or computer.
15. How does digital media work?
A 'digital title' is a digital version of an e-book, audiobook, or music file that is rights-protected and optimized for download. Each digital download consists of two parts: the content and the “wrapper.” The content is the actual form of read text, sound file, video file, or PDF file. The “wrapper” is data that includes the expiration date and other pieces of metadata. The wrapper is part of the “digital rights management” (DRM) software that lets publishers feel confident about the entire technology. The wrapper is like a key and keeps track of the date, and is deleted at the end of the lending period. Without a wrapper you can’t access a file in the 3M Cloud Library. The content isn’t automatically deleted—it stays on your computer/device but can’t be listened to, unless you check the item out again and get a new “wrapper.”
16. What software is needed for digital media?
You need the 3M Cloud Library app for your mobile device or computer. You can find the apps to download at the 3M Cloud Library information page. If you want to read e-books on your computer or transfer them to your e-reader, you will need Adobe Digital Editions. If you have already created an Adobe ID, 3M Cloud Library will recognize it. If you do not have your own Adobe ID, the Cloud Library will provide one for you. If you plan to use both 3M Cloud Library materials AND OverDrive materials, please be sure to authorize your devices with the same Adobe ID.
17. What happens to an item when I've finished it?
With many devices you can return items early (see How do I return items? above), or they will automatically expire at the end of their loan period. However, the content of a downloaded item stays on your computer, even after it has expired or been returned, until you manually delete the digital file.