Multnomah County Library is here to help with tax season. All library locations can access state and federal tax forms and instruction booklets online as they become available. Library staff members are happy to help print what you need. Printing costs 10 cents per page; two-sided printing is available.
Federal Hard Copy Forms
This year, libraries will have the Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and some acompanying instruction booklets. All locations will have reference copies of the 1040 Instructions and Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax. We can't promise when forms and booklets will be available, or that we won’t run out, but you can always download and print federal tax items from the IRS Forms & Publications page. You can also direct questions to the IRS offices in Oregon. Of special note, neither the 1099 and 1096 forms nor any of the W series (W-2, W-4, etc.) are available for download. Many office supply stores have the 1099 forms or you can contact the IRS directly to have those mailed to you.
State Hard Copy Forms
Public libraries are no longer a distribution center for state tax forms and booklets. If you need Oregon forms or booklets, you can come into the library to print them or do it yourself from the Oregon Department of Revenue page. If you want forms mailed to you, then you can contact the Oregon Department of Revenue via:
- Phone: 800-356-4222
- Clicking on "Order Paper Forms" on the Forms and Publication Library page
- Visit a regional Department of Revenue office
You can stop by the library for assistance printing out tax forms for other states, or you can go to the Federation of Tax Administrators State Tax Forms & Filing Options, which provides links to tax forms for each state.
Tax Help/Filing Assistance
Volunteers with AARP will be offering preparation assistance through Tax Help at five different Multnomah County Library locations beginning in February. Keep your eye on the events listed to the right of the library's Taxes page or search the Events page for "taxes." Requirements to get tax help vary by location:
Register in advance for Tax Help by calling 503-988-5123 at the following locations (registration begins January 26th at 10am):
- Central: Sundays starting February 4th, 10:00-2:00
- Gresham: Wednesdays starting February 7th, 12:00-5:00
- Midland: Fridays starting February 2nd, 12:00-4:00; Saturdays starting February 3rd, 12:00-4:00
Sign-up in person for a same day-appointment starting at 10am at the following locations:
- North Portland: Thursdays starting February 1st, 12:30-4:30; same day registration, in-person only. Arrive at 10:00 AM opening for best chance to secure an appointment.
- Woodstock: Saturdays starting February 3rd, 12:00-5:00; same day registration, in-person only. Arrive at 10:00 AM opening for best chance to secure an appointment.
First-come, first-served help filing taxes is available Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic and English will be provided in partnership with the Vietnamese Community of Oregon at:
If you can't make it to the library for tax help, you can find other locations for tax preparation assistance through the AARP's Tax-Aide Locator, CASH Oregon and the IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.