Planning and Paying for College

Photo of college students studying
For folks who choose to go to college, university or trade school, we know it can be stressful and expensive. Here are some resources to help you with planning and paying for college. 

Oregon Goes to College
Here you'll find information for families with high school students about the steps to take to prepare for college, including how to pay for university studies, links to more than 100 colleges, universities and trade schools in the state of Oregon and resources for undocumented students. This site has a portal for various financial aid and scholarship applications. You can see the description of each and also directly apply.

Oregon Student Aid
This website helps Oregon students plan and pay for college. Be sure to check out the Oregon Opportunity Grant, Oregon's largest state-funded, need-based grant program for college students, as well as Oregon Promise, a state grant that helps to cover tuition costs at any Oregon community college for recent high school graduates and GED recipients. Complete multiple applications to get money for college here. 

Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal grants, work-study, and loans. ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for Oregon residents who are undocumented, including students who have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status. Both the FAFSA and the ORSAA open on October 1 each year. If you are not sure where to start, use this filter tool to find out which one is appropriate for you.

The Ford Family Foundation 
This foundation helps high-need individuals in Oregon better their lives and the lives of their families through education beyond high school. They have scholarships available, including the Ford Scholars, to assist students who otherwise would find it impossible, or at least very difficult, to obtain a college degree. 

CollegeBoard CSS Profile
Some colleges also require students to fill out the CSS Profile to receive financial aid. In Oregon, Reed College requires it. Check with out-of-state schools to see their requirements.

More information from the library:

This article was written for our Family Newsletter, available in English and Spanish. Please sign up here and email us at with any questions.

Add new comment