Caring for ourselves helps us to better care for our families, especially during times of extreme stress. This post is being written during the time of the Covid pandemic: children are learning from home, grownups are struggling with work, people are scared, and stress is running high. It is In these times, more than ever, that parents and caregivers need to take care of their needs, to fill themselves up so they have enough care, patience and time to share with their families. The Child Mind Institute has put together a wonderful article for caregivers on prioritizing their own well-being in order to benefit the whole family. Here are the main takeaways:
- Make time for yourself
- Prioritize healthy choices
- Be realistic (my favorite!)
- Set boundaries
- Reconnect with things you enjoy
We know it's easy to say, but not always easy to do. The library is here to help:
- If it would help to have the kids entertained so you can have quiet time, check out our storytimes and events for kids! These are always changing, so check back often.
- If you are looking for healthy recipes or exercises, we have thousands to choose from!
- We have books to help you set boundaries, help you set realistic expectations, and to give yourself a break!
- If one of your favorite activities is sitting down with a good book, or watching a fun show, or listening to some beautiful music, we can help recommend any of those things for you. Check out the My Librarian group for a great suggestion (or 20!).
- If you want to learn something new or get back into an old hobby, we have lots of ways to help you get started. Just connect with us.
We are here to help, so please let us know what we can do for you, and for your family! You can leave a comment below, or email us directly at email@example.com. Also consider signing up for our monthly Family Newsletter. Take care!