A guide to social services in the Portland Metro area

These resources can help you locate free or low-cost social services in the Portland area.  Services include housing, shelter, food, laundry services, mental health counseling and referrals to other services. 

211info: information and referral
A comprehensive support hub for referrals to food, shelter, housing, foreclosure assistance, health care, and much more.   Calls are confidential, anonymous and free. Certified Information and Referral Specialists assess the situation and refer callers using a locally managed database of over 4,200 programs in Oregon and Southwest Washington.   Telephone interpreters are available for help in more than 150 languages.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare
Cascadia provides mental health counseling for people with psychiatric and substance use challenges.  They provide crisis intervention, addictions treatment, and housing services for people who are very low-income.  Their website includes contact information as well as links to additional resources outside of the area.

Multnomah County Mental Health & Addictions Services
Provides mental health services to adults, children and families. They serve Oregon Health Plan members as well as people who have no insurance or resources. 

NW Pilot Project
Provides housing services for seniors ages 55 and older who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.  Find housing, transportation help, advocacy and referrals to other resources and services. NW Pilot Project recommends calling 503-227-5605 before coming in. 

Outside In
Outside In is a community resource for homeless youth.  They provide health services, counseling and shelter, as well as programs and education.

Portland Women’s Crisis Line
Offers 24 hour telephone crisis counseling for victims of domestic and sexual violence.  The organization also offers support groups and direct service counseling for victims of domestic violence and childhood sexual abuse.

Rose City Resource
Street Roots publishes this very comprehensive online directory of services for people experiencing homelessness and poverty in  Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties.  It is continuously updated.

Transition Projects
This organization can help with a variety of services including housingshowers, food box vouchers, clothing, laundry services, Tri-met tickets, information and referral and housing search assistance.



I need help am a 60yr old woman with no relatives in the area. My prepaid phone died with min. on it. I am soon to be homeless probably tomorrow, have a car was fired from my job. Didn't work enough hours for unemployment. I
I am a 63 y.o. widow, with no local family. I live alone. I would really appreciate getting a bed to enjoy a good night's rest. Who do I contact? I am living on a very modest income and can't afford a bed. I don't have other furniture, but the only thing that I really need is the bed. Thank you!

Add new comment