Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- What brings India Opal and her father to Naomi?
- Describe Winn-Dixie. What is it about him that makes him appealing to India Opal?
- How does India Opal's father react to Winn-Dixie? How does she convince him to let the dog stay?
- What are the ten things about India Opal's mother that her father tells her. Connect these ten things to the rest of the story. (For example, #3 She liked to plant things. - India Opal plants a tree with Gloria Dump).
- Gloria Dump says that the most important thing in life is "different for everyone . . . You find out on your own. But in the meantime, you got to remember, you can't always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now." (96). What do you think this means? What does this mean to you?
- Why is Gloria Dump so important to India Opal?
- Who were some of your favorite characters in town? Describe them.
- How does a Littmus Lozenge work? Would you want to try one? Why or why not?
- What happens at the party to bring India Opal and her father together? What do you predict for their relationship in the future?
- What does the title mean to you?
Find an unusual lozenge to try. Consider rewrapping them in your own Litmus paper. Try egg salad sandwiches and punch - the menu of India Opal's party.
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.