Number of Pages:
Minimum grade level:
Spoiler alert! Some of the questions contain key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what happens!
- Read the first "memory" on the page opposite Chapter 1. Whose memory is this? What does it mean?
- Why is the family in pain? What has happened that none of them will talk about?
- Soon after Sophie appears, Larkin's father warns her not to love Sophie. Why is this?
- Is Lalo a good friend to Larkin and her family? Find some examples in the novel to support your idea.
- What kind of person is Ms. Minifred? As a teacher, what is she able to share with Larkin that inspires Larkin to take action in her family?
- Words play a very important part in this story. What kind of words? Whose words? What do they need to say or do?
- Read the poem on page 85-86 out loud. Discuss what you think is the meaning of this poem. How does it effect Larkin?
- Ms. Minifred said once that life is made up in circles, "Life is not a straight line . . . And sometimes we circle back to a past time. But we are not the same. We are changed forever." What does this mean?
- How did Sophie's time with the family help to heal them?
- Did Sophie's mother do the right thing?
Spiced cookie dough
Created in part with funds granted by the Oregon State Library under the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.